Saturday, October 26, 2013

Why Has Dating Become So Weird?

<a href="http://6842efh7zwwj2ydbx8jywb0nn9.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a> (Wanted to share this with all of you. Check out this link! Might just come in handy. The holidays are coming!)

So, is it just me or does dating get more strange as we age? People seem to just not know how to interact with one another anymore. It's like we're only listening for the AH-HA moment when the bad guy/girl finally tells on themselves; kindly enabling us to escape the noose of disappointment yet again. The art of communication has become more illusive to even me; and not to toot my own horn, but I'm a gifted communicator! This leaves me puzzled greatly because in my mind communication should've gotten easier with age- am I right?! Then it hit me like eureka- BAM! It's the fear factor that has us all tongue tied and awkward. What we often times forget in the whole dating game is that as we age, most of us take our prior experiences along with us on the ride; making it nearly impossible to see a true fresh start with anyone, and most times waiting for previous disappointments to show up in this new person. I believe this is why people love social media so much. You don't have to get invested in any thing or one, and the connections only last as long as it takes to refresh your news feed. So, when it comes time to meet face to face and simply be yourself confusion as well as fear step into the mix. Inadvertently, huge barriers are created turning simple gestures into hurdles; where effective and mutually beneficial conversation will now be forced to jump repeatedly, looking for a safe place to land. No wonder I'm exhausted after the first 10 minutes on a date with someone new. My date became my intellectual cardio coach, and now I just want to go home and watch Scandal on my DVR. 

There's nothing worse than seeing two people out together, yet they're both on their phones cruising social media sites. Or, they're posting about what's happening on their date; while ignoring the person they are on a date with, to engage in pointless chitchat on FB IG Twitter or whatever. I recently saw a pretty lady dump her entire meal on the guy she was dating, yelling like a crazy person screaming bloody murder. Apparently, he was setting up his next date for later that night after he dropped her off; and all of this was visible on FB and IG. Well, considering they both shared some of the same social media friends it quickly got back to the woman what his true intentions for the evening were; and here she had been thinking they were going out early due to his work schedule changing last minute and all....lmao! What was better than that, was watching him try to deny it while she was showing him the evidence of the truth on her phone! Then it all turned ugly when she snatched his phone up, and dumped it in a glass of sparkling water. To see a grown man become so emotionally perplexed over an electronic device was the best part of all; and then he began screaming bloody murder, threatening to post all her nude "selfies" when he got his new phone! The surprise twist in the script of this modern day romantic drama/comedy is the fact that these people were in their 30's. So, I'd be a fool to develop high expectations in this apathetic dating climate; especially after witnessing that hot mess, which proves it would be a great waste of my very valuable time to do so.

This all brings me to my weird little moment in dating. I was recently asked out by an old friend, who I would've never accused to be attracted to me in any way other than friendship. I've known this man over 20 years! This comes as a huge surprise to me. My dilemma at this point is what to do with this information. Do I begin to date this person, or should I protect the friendship and decline the date invitation? What if the rejection kills the friendship? What if I end up really liking him? I'm almost tempted to look him up on social media to find a good excuse to decline. BTW, yes guys we do that too! As stated in my last post I am a single woman who is dating. Not one person in particular, so I guess you could say I'm briefly shopping around. I wouldn't say I'm looking for "Someone"; though I'm certain I'll know exactly who he is once He finally arrives. For some reason its just not as simple as it was when we were kids; you like someone, they like you back, and this continues until its over. I don't really enjoy the whole social media dating scene. I see it as a place where people go to hide, hoping to get lucky, before anyone catches on to who they really are in Real Life. Whatever happened to flowers, writing actual letters, and long walks before going home? Guess it's official- I'm Old!! What I am looking for is a good time! Creating beautiful memories to last a lifetime is what I'm really good at. So, I think I'm gonna say yes and go on the date with my old buddy. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe end up disappointed, again? OOO... I'm so scared!? LMAO!!! But really, these days life for me is all about not letting my fears dictate my future. I'm relearning to let life be life; while remembering that love is only love. Sometimes we unfairly expect more of life and love than what they're truly capable of providing; and we also forget that only God can predict what happens next because HE wrote the story. So, what you doing this weekend?! 

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the whole people on a date and on the phone as if FB, IG or Tweeter ....Your on a date, damn...Date...Im telling you if a woman don't have children, work for the goverment and have clearence or a doctor their is no reason they should be checking their phone while on a date ill just cut it short.

    ReplyDelete