Sunday, November 10, 2013

12 Years a Slave.

<a href="http://8f2bbgn5242sdq2f1hz9u30hhi.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a>
 (This link is for true movie fanatics! Crazy choices for having movie night at home! Enjoy!!!)

Friday I went on a date, it was fun, and extremely mind altering. The mind altering portion of the evening was all about the movie we went to see. My date and I were equally all geeked up to view this newly released film titled, "12 Years a Slave" directed by Steve McQueen/written by Solomon Northup & John Ridley/ produced by Brad Pitt (among others). With all the reviews being so flattering I knew I was going to love this film. About this time last year I was all turned out on D'Jango Unchained; which was a gratuitously profane as well as violent spaghetti western, that turned a fed up slave into a super hero/villain. With the footprints of D'Jango still etched deeply in my mind, I must admit its lighthearted nature truly left me vulnerable to be mind raped by "12 Years a Slave". Please do Not take what I am about to say next lightly at all. EVERY HUMAN BEING SHOULD GO AND WITNESS THIS FILM! I choose to use the word witness because that is exactly what you will be doing. You will become witness to a very common story from that time; and left to wonder how many more of these stories exist, that were purposefully omitted from the popular history of African-Americans as well as American history as a whole. What keeps blowing my mind is how Solomon Northup's true reality became a dream; while any humans greatest nightmare, became the reality he would never escape. Just take a second, grab a shovel, and dig deep into this thought; what it must be like to have an unwanted existence thrown upon you (out of the blue), and be expected to survive not existing- at all?! The character work in this film is tremendous! Each character jumps from the screen to your heart in seconds; whether you love them or hate them, and please believe me when I say it won't take you long to do either. Some of the characters you want to slap, and others you'll want to kill; then you have the ones you want to hug, the ones you wish you could save, and ultimately the ones you want to be. Some of the characters are so integral and multi layered you'll experience all of these feelings for them individually. Solomon Northup is one of those characters. Any film with character development this rich has no choice other than to become an instant cinematic treasure! Can you say, "Give me my Oscar B@*$#"!!!!

As I sat there next to my date in the dark theater, time traveling through my personal roots; it became very difficult to not drift in and out of being present with him. Scene for scene almost every story my father shared with me about his childhood in the South played simultaneously; as if the projector screen and my mind had been configured into a two screen digital home theater. For most of film I sat there with my father, who has been deceased for over 4 years to date; listening to his gripping tales of surviving Old Dixie, with my head resting peacefully on his shoulder. Stories about my uncle who had lived in the Okefenokee Swamp for over a decade; trying to escape unjust persecution for defending himself (as well as his family) in a manner that was more than justified. The story of my beloved Uncle Tiny who was 8 feet tall, and also a prisoner on one of the last standing chain gangs in Florida during the 1900's; most likely unjustly apprehended, tried, convicted, and jailed. The story of my amazing Aunt Verlee who bravely married a White man; at a time in American history when interracial marriage was still illegal in most states in the union. This brazen couple moved north, had 7 insanely awesome children, and became prominent land as well as business owners; making them strong community staples in Atlantic City, where my dear Aunt Verlee still lives to this day nearly 90 years of age. With me being born 77 years after my grandfather David Wright Sr. and 44 years after my father Norman L. Wright Sr. this film will never just be entertainment for me. Most people my age don't sit as closely to Black history as I do. For most the story of Solomon Northup is a social studies lesson, an African American studies mid term paper or an extra credit writing assignment; to make up for lack of class participation or something mundane like that. But for me, Solomon Northup is an after dinner family talk, a "How far we've come!" speech at the family reunion or even a bedtime story; to appropriately remind me of why I'm so blessed to be Me and Free. Solomon Northup is my father, my grandfather, or even one of my Uncles. So, my true point finally emerges. Solomon Northup, isn't just some story or an Oscar worthy film. He is the HISTORY I've embraced for as far back as I can remember; and as long as I live and breathe will never let go of, holding on as tight to it as I do the memories of my own existence.

Writing this Blog without giving away too many of the films intricate details is a lot harder than I thought it would be. There is so much I want to share with you, so many things I wish I could say! But, in doing this it would truly ruin your overall experience as a voyeur; so I can't tell you nothing DOG! Okay, let me take that back right quick and share this one moment that moved me deeply. Sharing this with you won't give any of the film away; but it may encourage you to buy a ticket as soon as you're finished reading this Blog. As it has been obviously displayed in the media, Solomon Northup was unjustly enslaved; though in all actually he was a free man. So here is the scene...Solomon reached a moment of acceptance in his relationship to becoming a slave. Something bad happened...and the slaves began to sing...as slaves normally did to cope with their pain. Up until this point Solomon would never fellowship as a slave; although he regarded them highly as his own people, engaging in slave salvation had been impossible up until this moment. As the slaves sang from a place where only this form of salvation becomes realized through the greatest of suffering, Solomon just listened respectfully. Then the epiphany happened, you could see it in his eyes, Solomon finally accepted it; and what he accepted was that he was now Platt, and Platt was a slave. To witness Chiwetel Ejiofor go from a Proud Free Man to a Grateful Slave in seconds, is one of the most profound achievements any actor can accomplish on film. What caught me up the most in this brilliant cinematic moment, was how I went along for the ride; and became a grateful slave singing for my salvation as well, even though I believed I was Free- when I sat down in that seat. Freedom is a state of mind, a perception, and a moral right. This film challenges us to believe as well as fight for all these things. Though concrete in its nature, Freedom can be fleeting in its affect. So, are you a Free Man/Woman or are you just a Grateful Slave? Go see and support this film! Trust and believe its more than just some movie.        


  

1 comment: